Sons are a heritage from the Lord. Psalm 127:3

Monday, March 22, 2010

Starting Our 1st Garden

I have been wanting to start our own garden for the past couple of years, but I never got around to doing it. Now that my boys are getting older, I thought it would be a great time to start! Not only would it be a learning experience for my kids, but they are so excited to help me and eat the fruits & veggies we produce. Maybe this will be my way of getting them to eat more veggies. Hmmmmmm......we will see about that one! :)


Preston & Noah were anxious to water the plants with their new watering cans. The only problem was, we didn't plant the plants yet. :) It was very bright outside......what a beautiful day it was!


The boys were helping me by bringing the plants over to me so I can plant them.


They were putting soil in the pots for mommy. My big helpers!


The funny part is, they were having so much fun doing this for me!


My cute little guys.

Noah got tired and went in the house, but Preston continued to help me the whole time. He even got a chair to get more comfortable.


Preston was just as excited as I was to get this garden going. He amazed me by how much he wanted to help and be by my side the whole time.

This is just the beginning of all the plants we planted. I know I will have to re-plant some when they grow to be much bigger, but in the meantime, this is what I had to start off with.

I have an area on my side yard that I want to clear out with all the weeds and overgrown plants coming from my neighbors yard. My hubby will build me some raised plantar boxes so we can plant seeds for other fruits & vegetables that wouldn't grow so well in pots. Hopefully we can accomplish this by next weekend because I'm anxious to get this all completed and get started.
This is going to be so much fun! The best part is, the kids have that excitement and want to help me. Not only will I be teaching them about the whole process of how a garden grows and all the hard work involved, it will also be teaching them how grateful we should be for the food God has provided for us.
I planted: Tomatoes (cherry & beefsteak), green bell pepper, red bell pepper, small pumpkins, crookneck squash, summer squash, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, peppermint, basil & parsley.
I have a lot more I want to plant once I get my raised beds done. I will update you once I have it completed. Wish us luck for a prosperous garden! :)

2 comments:

  1. I commend you for getting the kiddos involved in this project! I think it will be a great ongoing learning experience! Looking forward to seeing your garden in it's next phase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great!!! : ) Gardening is fun. My kids like to check ours every day and love to spot any new flowers, and check the fruit to see if it's ripe yet.

    ReplyDelete